9.20.2010

Homemade Carpet Deodorizer


Having a new puppy who is in the process of being housebroken means you can expect accidents to happen on your carpets. Store bought carpet deodorizers can become pretty expensive in the long run, so I decided to make my own. It's as simple as having some baking soda, and a fragrance. You can use any fragrance you want whether it be flowers or your favorite spice from the kitchen to get your carpets smelling their best.


What you'll need-

•Baking soda. How much you need depends on how much carpet you have to cover.
Something to put the baking soda in, preferably a mason jar.
•Fragrance of your choice. This can be a flower (like lavender), scented oil, or even a kitchen spice such as cinnamon. I used my favorite scented wax. You can pick it up at whole-sale stores, like wal mart.


What to do-

Pour the baking soda into an air tight jar. How much you use depends on how big of an area you want to cover. I used about ¾ cup for my 12x12' living room.
Add the fragrance of your choice to the jar of baking soda, and give it a good shake to combine. If you're using scented oil it will clump, you'll need to break up these clumps to allow all of the baking soda to combine with it. Let the mixture sit for at least an hour to allow the baking soda to soak up the scent.
Lightly sprinkle the scented baking soda over the surface of your carpet. Let sit anywhere from 15 minutes to overnight. Vacuum as usual.

Now you have clean carpets that smell the way you want them to, not the way he makes them! :)



Side note: I finally found the original recipe I used to make Sweet Honey Cornbread. Now you have it, too!


Blogger Templates

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea.

    It's also a good idea to put a few drops of essential oil on some cotton wool, then suck it into your vacuum cleaner ... then every time you use it there is a lovely smell in the room!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAIT,Cant you use baking soda,Tee tree new,Lavender high alitutde and Lemon organic

      Delete
  2. Jess, fabulous idea! I'm so making this. Baking powder is so inexpensive and this way I don't have to smell some kind of scent I don't like, I can make it my way! Thanks for posting this, with two dogs (even though they are older) accidents happen once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! As an owner of multiple cats, this is very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea!! My brother's dog isn't housebroken yet so this is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nifty trick. And you can use lavender or tea or something, and keep it all-natural (I guess b.soda isn't too unnatural?).

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you use the wax...do you grate it??? Or melt it in....I'm just a little confused....Sorry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you heating up the wax before adding it to the baking soda?

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...