8.26.2010

S'mores Cupcakes


I'm sure you've seen these before. They're everywhere! A classic campfire treat turned into a fluffy cupcake. I adore s'mores. I have to have one (two...three..) everytime I'm around a campfire. Even when I'm not camping, I still eat s'mores toasted over the stove.

I don't really like cake. BUT. I'm a huge fan of the lighter, fluffier, portable cupcake. As you can guess, once I saw this dessert- a combination of two things I love- I wanted to try them right away.

There's a few different ways to make a S'more cupcake. One recipe makes a chocolate cupcake with a graham cracker mixture stirred in. Another one makes a graham cracker 'crust' which is then topped with chocolate cupcake. And one makes just a plain old graham cracker cupcake. Of course, they're all topped off with marshmallow frosting, and a little drizzling of chocolate. I DO NOT like chocolate cake (or ice cream, frosting, i can barely even stand plain chocolate), so I chose to go with the plain graham cracker cake recipe.


This cake is awesome. It's the fluffiest cupcake I've ever had. These also have the perfect graham cracker flavor, because the recipe  doesn't use much flour, but instead uses crushed graham crackers. Even though these do not rise very much, I would strongly suggest that you don't fill the cups more than half full. I've made these twice now, and both times I've tried filling the cups ¾ of the way. But, this just causes a hanging lip to form on the cupcakes.

Did I mention how heavenly these smell while baking?

I absolutely love these cupcakes plain, just the way they are. But if you really want a s'mores cupcake you can go ahead and top them with some yummy marshmallow frosting and chocolate. You could use a kitchen torch to toast the top of the marshmallow, but if you're a poor girl like me and you don't own a fancy torch, you can just stick them under your oven's broiler for a few seconds. These taste amazing! Definitely the best S'more I've ever had. :)




S'mores Cupcakes

Graham Cracker Cupcake-
(Adapted from Nabisco)

1½ cups graham crackers, finely crushed - This is about 20 crackers
½ cup flour
2½ tsp. baking powder
½ cup butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
¾ cup milk

In a small bowl combine the crumbs, flour and baking powder; set aside.

Beat the butter and the sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla.

Alternately add flour mixture with milk, beating well after each addition. Divide the batter into two muffin tins lined with 16 cupcake liners total.

Bake at 350°F for 22-25 minutes or until done. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack. Top with marshmallow frosting. Garnish with chocolate shavings, or melted chocolate.


Marshmallow Frosting-
(Adapted from Martha Stewart)

8 large egg whites
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the heatproof mixing bowl. Set over a saucepan with simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, 3 to 4 minutes.

Remove bowl from saucepan, and beat using a whisk attachment, starting on low speed, gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix until combined. Use immediately.


Tips:
   *Fill cupcake liners somewhere between ½ and ¾ of the way full.
   *Make sure you beat the marshmallow frosting to STIFF PEAKS. Otherwise the frosting won't set, and you'll end up with a cupcake that looks like this...



Enjoy! :)

13 comments:

  1. I wish there are graham crackers here, so that I can try making this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy- You still can! This summer I made homemade graham crackers that are amazing! They taste way better than anything you'd buy at a store. Here's a link to the recipe I used. http://www.spoonfulblog.com/2008/01/grown-up-graham-crackers.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! But may I ask, who doesn't like chocolate?
    I bet my kids would be in heaven if I would make them these cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you've literally made my stomach growl. These look delicious! And I agree with you on chocolate cake...it's just kind of boring.
    Thanks for the recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made s'mores cupcakes quite a while back. The recipe I used had graham flour in it and turned out pretty good. I'm still on the hunt for different s'mores cupcakes recipes so I will have to give your version a try :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirsten- I acquired this unnatural hate for chocolate from my mother. She dislikes it even more than I do! I must say though I LOVE me some chocolate milk :)

    Valerie- You're welcome :)

    Susi- I loved your cupcakes! Something great to do with these cupcakes is filling them with a chocolate ganache. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg! *Drool* haha. Looks soooo good!! I've never made smore's cupcakes but it seems everyone has! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are soooo cute . First time i heard about graham cracker cake like the idea

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cupcakes look delicious. I'm seeing a lot of s'mores recipes! Lovely photos too (=

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've set my sweet tooth singing. These look wonderful and I'm sure they are as delicious as they are beautiful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone seems to be making s'mores at the moment. Being so ignorant, I had to go and google what on earth one of them was.
    Now I know.
    Now I am off to have my own little adventure with these tasty treats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let me ask this, can you bake a large marshmallow inside and top with chocolate frosting? I was just thinking as a chocolate addict that I needed more of a choco-punch!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...