7.06.2010

Rum-Spiked Peach Cobbler


No dessert screams Summer! to me as much as peach cobbler.


I made this classic dessert one step better by slightly cooking the peaches in a butter-rum sauce before tossing with the other ingredients. The rum I use is Tattoo, which adds a very nice, sweet flavor to the peaches. (I believe I've raved about Tattoo before..)
The filling tasted great, not too sweet, it was perfect! The juices set up very nicely. This cobbler was not runny at all, unlike some others I've tried before.

Oh, and the crust...
SO so so so so good!! It has a wonderful flavor, and an even better texture. It cooks up nice and golden with a slight crunch on the outside, and light, fluffy and very moist on the inside. 
YUMM!! :)





Rum-Spiked Peach Cobbler-
Slightly Adapted from Tyler Florence
Printable Recipe

Ingredients-
Filling
12 peaches,about 10 cups, peeled and sliced*
1/2 cup butter
5 Tbsp. brown sugar
2-3 Tbsp. dark rum*
1/4 cup brown sugar 
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Crust
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
12 Tbsp. (1 1/2 sticks) cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 Tbsp. vanilla
2/3 cup Heavy cream, plus more for brushing
 
 
Directions-
Preheat the oven to 375°F, lightly coat a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.


Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in 5 Tbsp. brown sugar. Add sliced peaches and rum; cook stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Drain.*

In a large bowl add the peaches, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon and mix well to coat the peaches evenly; set aside.


In a medium bowl, or food processor, add the flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles course meal. Add cream and mix just until the dough comes together. Don't overwork; the dough should be slightly sticky but manageable.


Dump the peaches into a 13x9-inch baking pan, place in oven until heated through, about 5 minutes. Drop pieces of dough over the warm peaches. There can be gaps, the dough will puff up and spread out as it bakes. Brush the top with some heavy cream and sprinkle with some sugar; put it into the oven on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the top is browned and the fruit is bubbling. Enjoy warm.


Hints
-I used half yellow peaches, and half white. The yellow peaches have a much sweeter, peachier flavor. The white seem to be less mushy than the yellow. You may use whichever you prefer. I also left the peel on my peaches just because the peel holds a lot of flavor, plus I just like the added texture.
-Like I said, I used Captain Morgan Tattoo which a delicious dark rum. You may use any rum you'd like, light or dark, just keep in mind that light rum will not have as deep of a flavor as dark rum. If you don't consume alcohol at all, completely skip the first step and just combine your peaches with the other filling ingredients.
-If you'd like an extra boost of flavor in the filling, you may reserve ½ C. of the liquid and add it to the peaches along with the other filling ingredients.

3 comments:

  1. My husband loves peach cobbler! I think your addition of the rum adds something special to the recipe. I'm bookmarking this for when I find decent peaches! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had peach cobbler but it looks really nice. Will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susi- Thanks! Your husband loves peach cobbler? I think he'd be very satisfied with this recipe!

    Dave- You're missing out!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...