7.17.2010

Chocolate Ice Milk Sundae


Ice milk is basically a frozen mixture of sugar and milk. It's a great alternative to ice cream because it uses less ingredients, no need to cook, and you don't need an ice cream maker.

This chocolate ice milk is delicious! I thought it was going to be full of ice chunks, and hard as a rock. It's actually really creamy! It almost has a 'soft' texture. I gave it some extra beatings with the mixer during freezing to break up the ice crystals so it would turn out smoother. I used coffee in the chocolate sauce gave this otherwise-plain chocolate ice milk a fantastic flavor boost, turning it into a decadent chocolate sundae.

Ice milk is so yummy and simple to make that it will now be my go-to dessert on those hot and lazy summer days.. Plus, you could probably get the same result just using chocolate milk as you would using the recipe I've provided, which would make a one-ingredient dessert! :)

-Jess

Chocolate Ice Milk Sundae-

Ice Milk
¾ cup superfine sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder - I used Hershey's special dark
2 cups cold milk
½ tsp. vanilla extract

Chocolate Sauce
2/3 cup superfine sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
¾ cup strong brewed coffee
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Whisk sugar and cocoa in large bowl. Slowly whisk in milk and vanilla until dry ingredients are dissolved. Pour into 8x8" baking pan and cover. Chill in freezer 2 hours, or until nearly frozen.

Score surface with knife and cut into chunks. Transfer to food processor or blender and process until smooth and creamy. Pour into resealable freezer container. Freeze 2 to 3 hours, or until solid, pulling out once or twice to blend. Doing this will break up big ice crystals, making your ice milk smoother.

Combine sugar and cocoa in small saucepan, stir in coffee. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring. Reduce heat to low and cook 8 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
Let cool slightly and stir in vanilla extract. Serve over scoops of ice milk.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Are you making ice cream everyday? I would be as big as a house...but I sure would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not every day. But I sure am making it a lot. Some of the recipes I cut down in size, or I just give it away to friends and family. I do this because if not I really would end up as big as a house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ....you have a wonderful blog...apart from visiting your blog.. i feel to drop a comment for you here at your blog...since you have a wonderful contents,,,really ..for a non native english speaking person like me...this blog helps to improve communication by reading the contents....

    I would like to keep in touch with u as a blogger and also as a friend...

    thank u...nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I keep making batch after batch of ice cream... Maybe I should switch to this kind of recipe? I feel like I'm getting as big as a house, myself :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ice milk. Totally reminds me of high school...taking bus to the beach, stopping at the pier for an ice milk cone. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be a nice hot day drink. Thinking I could change it up with some strawberry syrup or vanilla. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful ideas and lots of chocolate goodness! Ive not had chocolate ice milk or honestly ever seen it in my travels but it sounds great and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...