9.30.2010

Rhubarb Spice Cake


This cake is full of spicy fall flavors that are nicely complimented by small chunks of rhubarb. This cake is soft, yet not as moist as I'd like. It goes really well with a tall glass of milk. This is a nice, subtle way to enjoy rhubarb. :)



Rhubarb Spice Cake-
(Adapted from Betty Crocker)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ cups sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1¼ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs
1¾ cups finely chopped fresh rhubarb
1 cup chopped nuts

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with shortening; lightly flour.
 
In large bowl, beat flour, 1¼ cups of the sugar and remaining ingredients, except rhubarb and nuts, with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into pan. Sprinkle with nuts and remaining 1/4 cup sugar.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Serve with Sweetened Whipped Cream, if desired.


Tips:
   * You may use self rising flour instead of all-purpose, just be sure to leave out the baking soda and salt.


Enjoy! :)



11 comments:

  1. I made a cake with rhubarb last week, and being my first time using rhubarb, I was freaking when it turned brown instead of staying red.
    I guess it could be pretty normal for it to be brown after baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I haven't done much baking with rhubarb, but it sounds fantastic in this cake. PS, I've got a giveaway going on that I think you might be interested in :) Stop by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used rhubarb...I've got to give it a try. This looks fantastic! I love the spice in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This def. screams fall with all the spices! I've never had rhubarb before but it most be good. You have such great pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen plenty of spiced cakes on my favorite blogs in the past few weeks, but nothing that looked quite as delicious as this one - wow! I love all those delicious fall flavors and touch of spice. I must try this! Thanks for sharing, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely. Definitely need to try this recipe.thnx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great blog! here is so many inspirations!

    have a nice time,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so tasty! Where have you gone? I'm looking forward to another post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just thought of leaving you a comment,

    "I miss ur postings :) "

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice new look, Jess! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...