7.03.2010

I Scream, You Scream... {Vanilla Ice Cream}


We all scream for Ice Cream!!


Yay!
It's [finally!] that time of year.


July.


National Ice Cream Month!!


And I'm celebrating! Through the whole month of July I'll be posting a lot of ice cream recipes. Some I've created myself, and others are from books or blogs that I've been dying to try.
I'm very excited about this because I love ice cream! I eat a lot of ice cream, much, much more than I should. Hey, I can't help it, that stuff is good!


I think ice cream is one of the funnest things to make because the flavor possibilites are endless. I love cooking something that allows my creativity to flow.
Today, I just wanted a basic vanilla ice cream with my favorite mix ins- brownies, caramel, and hot fudge. I used the dark chocolate brownies and caramel that I made. Sadly, I was out of fudge topping, but those brownies and caramel are good enough that I can do without the fudge. The ice cream was yummy, I love the texture of the chewy brownies, and the caramel gives a great contrast.

Most ice creams I make are custard-based. This takes a little longer to do than cream-based as you have to cook it for some time. I don't mind, though. Custard ice cream is so rich and creamy. I especially like to eat it soft serve. I will be sharing cream-based recipes also, for those of you who prefer eggless ice cream.


-Jess



Basic Custard Vanilla Ice Cream-
Printable Recipe

Ingredients-
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp vanilla


Directions-
In a medium saucepan over medium heat stir together milk, cream and sugar; heat until it just barely starts to boil (about 5 minutes). Pour a small amount into egg yolks while whisking. Pour warmed eggs into cream and stir. Cook until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Pour through a mesh strainer to remove any lumps that may have formed during cooking. Stir in vanilla. Refrigerate until cool. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Store in airtight container in freezer.


I added pieces of chopped brownie, and swirls of caramel to this ice cream
Check out this website for awesome tips on adding baked goods to ice cream!

 If you know of a really good or interesting ice cream flavor, I'd love to hear about it, and possibly post it on this blog!

1 comment:

  1. You already know how I feel about ice cream! I prefer custard based ice creams as well but sometimes throwing 5 ingredients in a blender and you are good to go is very tempting!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...