7.12.2010

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream {No Machine}


Here is an ice cream recipe that is sure to please pumpkin lovers, plus instructions for making ice cream without a machine!


Okay, making ice cream without a machine was not part of the plan. I had forgotten to give my ice cream maker enough time to freeze thoroughly. Oops.
But, after tasting the pumpkin pie flavored cream I had just cooked up, there was no way I was just going to give up on turning it into ice cream. It tasted way too good to go to waste!


This created the perfect opportunity to learn a new ice cream making technique, and I found the perfect one from my most trusted ice cream source - David Lebovitz.


To make my ice cream I just poured my (cooked) cream mixture into a metal mixing bowl and stuck it in the freezer. Every 30-40 minutes I gave it a good mixing with my electric mixer, and stuck it back in the freezer. I continued this process until the ice cream was completely frozen. It took a few hours, but it was well worth the wait.

To my delight the ice cream ended up very creamy and rich - David does recommend using a custard-based ice cream for the 'smoothest texture possible'. And the flavor is fantastic! It has a strong pumpkin flavor that is sweetened up perfectly with brown sugar. I used typical pumpkin pie spices to top it all off. 


This Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream was delicious served on top of a warm pumpkin cookie. :)


-Jess



Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream-
Printable Recipe


Ingredients-
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 cup pumpkin puree


Directions-
In a large saucepan over medium heat combine milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and brown sugar. Heat until scalded, but not boiling.


Add a small amount of cream mixture to eggs while whisking. Return egg mixture to saucepan; mix well. Cook, while stirring, until mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon. Remove from heat. Stir in pumpkin puree. Remove from heat.


At this point you may refrigerate the cream until it is cool then pour into ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacterer's directions


OR

Pour the cooked cream into a durable container, and place it in the freezer. After about 40 minutes check it to see if the edges have started to freeze. If so, stir the cream vigorously with a spatula or whisk OR mix it with a handheld mixer to break up any ice chunks. Return it to the Freezer. Keep checking it every 30 minutes or so, giving it a really good mixing each time until it is completely frozen (about 2-3 hours).

Your ice cream should now be ready to serve or stored in a sealed container.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. YUM!! I love how it doesn't use an ice cream maker because I don't have one!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingenious!!! Very, very clever how you turned this ice cream from disaster into a fantastic dessert. I've had the half frozen bowl happening a couple of times now to. It is just too hot for the freezer to cold enough :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. AJ- :) now you know how to make it without one!

    Susi- That's the only problem with making ice cream in the summer. Too darn hot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! I can't wait to make this closer to fall. I love pumpkin flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Jess, this is totally impressive! I wrote a post the same week, scorning the ice cream I tried to make without a machine, but this is inspiring me to try again! Looks like a delicious summer treat - Love those "fall" flavors like pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg in the middle of summer... Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again a flavor I don't think I have ever had. That would be a lot of work to do without the machine, but what did they used to do, it was obviously all done by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that looks great. I never made my own ice cream, I don't have a machine but my dad does, maybe I'll borrow from him :)

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...