5.13.2010

Candy Cane Biscotti



What season is it? I'm not sure because the weather here in Utah is very indecisive. One day its 80 degrees, and I'm in short shorts. The next day I'm drinking hot cocoa cause it's snowing! So, I decided to go back to a recipe I tried in December. It's very yummy Candy Cane Biscotti. Biscotti is very easy to make, and I found it to be pretty fun. I've actually never made biscotti, or even tried it before I found this recipe! It's actually kinda crazy of me because I love love love coffee, and coffee & biscotti go hand in hand. But, since it's winter, why not enjoy these with some hot cocoa? I thought these would make perfect little Christmas treats, so I handed them out to friends and family along with some cones filled with candy cane cocoa mix.


This biscotti is so good! I really think the candy canes are what made it yummy, and paired with the candy cane cocoa it's a really tasty treat! Now I just hope that the weather here decides to cooperate so I can start pushing out some ice cream recipes :)


-Jess



Candy Cane Biscotti
Recipe from Land O Lakes
Printable Recipe
makes about 4 dozen cookies


Ingredients-
Cookie-
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup finely crushed candy canes (or any kind of hard mint candy)

Coating-
14 oz vanilla flavored almond bark
2 drops red food color
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
Crushed candy canes for dipping


Directions-
Cookie-
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar at medium speed. Add eggs, mix well. Reduce speed to low, add flour and baking powder mixing well. Stir in crushed candy.

Divide dough into fourths on lightly floured surface. Lightly flour your hands and shape each into a 9x1 1/2-inch log. Place logs 3 inches apart on baking sheet.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until tops are cracked and ends are lightly browned. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Cool logs on cookie sheet for 10 minutes.

Carefully remove logs to cutting surface. Cut into 1/2-inch slices with serrated knife; discard ends. Arrange pieces on baking sheet, cut-side down.

Continue baking for 12 to 14 minutes, turning once, or until cookies are golden brown and crisp on both sides. Remove to wire cooling rack to cool completely.

Coating-
Place almond bark in saucepan. Cook over meduim heat, stirring occasionally, until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in food color and extract.

Dip each biscotti part way into warm coating; shake of excess. Place onto waxed paper, immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Let set at room temperature until coating is hardened, about 1 hour.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...