3.22.2011

Brown Butter Banana Bread



I've been in love with brown butter ever since the Brown Butter Ice Cream recipe. I'm always trying to substitute it for regular butter whenever I can. The most recent recipe I've tried using brown butter is Banana Bread. I was hoping the flavor of the brown butter would be more noticable in this bread than it was, it seems the bananas are just too powerful for it to shine through. Nevertheless, this recipe makes for some amazing banana bread.

-Jess





Brown Butter Banana Bread

2 Cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ Cup butter
¾ Cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
½ Cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350­°F. Grease bottom only of a 9x5-inch bread pan.

In a bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until caramel colored. Watch it carefully 'cause it can quickly go from a nice caramel color to burned! Pour browned butter into a mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, mix well. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in vanilla, mashed bananas, and sour cream. Add flour mixture, stirring just until combined.

Pour into prepared bread pan. Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Enjoy!


Helpful Hints
* I grease only the bottom of my pan to avoid a hard lip from baking on the edge of the bread. I never have any problem getting the sides of the bread out, just gently run a butter knife around the edge.

*Don't over mix when adding the flour mixture to the banana mixture, it will make a very dense and tough bread.

3 comments:

  1. I love the addition of brown butter in this recipe, even though I think a little rum wouldn't have hurt ;o)
    The banana slices on top look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. o my gosh, these look so good!!! i loooooooooove banana bread, but brown butter? that sounds even better. must give these a try!

    cheers,
    yvonne
    modern.girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw you featured over at These Chicks Cooked. This banana bread photo leaves me drooling! I LOVE the addition of banana slices on top. You've got a great blog, I am your newest follower :)

    Check out my blog and follow back if you like!

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...